Allevia employs people to support people with a disability in the community. We are continually looking for people who share our vision and passion, people with skills and experience in working with others, or people who are simply looking to enter our line of work. Whilst we are committed to having a well trained workforce, not having a qualification in the community service field doesn’t mean you can’t apply for a job.
Interested? Give us a call, get a recruitment pack and lets see if you fit the bill!
The following information is provided here to assist you in making an application for employment, including details of how to apply and the process of recruitment. This information (and all the required forms) is included in our Recruitment Information Pack which can be obtained by calling or emailing us (see below).
Applying for a Job
To apply for a position with Allevia, you, the applicant, are required to complete and provide us with:
- A completed Employment Application Form.
- A letter detailing how you meet the essential and desirable criteria stated in the job advertisement (a copy may be attached to assist you) – point form is acceptable.
For example, an essential criteria which states “Unrestricted driver’s license”, should be addressed in the letter by stating “I currently hold an unrestricted drivers license (no. 44776220) issued in NSW, and expiring on 11 November, 2008.”
- A copy of your Curriculum Vitae or Resume’, which includes:
- Your personal details – address, phone contacts, drivers license details (including any special conditions).
- Your formal qualifications.
- Your employment history – including the names of employers, addresses and phone contact details.
- Any training or courses you have undertaken (e.g. Senior First Aid Certificate).
- The names, contact details, and titles of two professional referees.
- A copy of your Curriculum Vitae or Resume’, which includes:
These referees should be a senior person (e.g. Manager, Director, CEO) representing the immediate previous or current employer, and someone who has supervised you in a previous job. It is important to ask them to be a referee before committing their name to your application – this is a common courtesy.
- A completed Motor Vehicle Driver Declaration form.
All sections must be completed without exception.
- If you were born in Australia – a copy of your Birth Certificate.
- If you were not born in Australia –
- A signed Authority to Obtain Details of Work Rights Status From DIMIA form (enclosed), allowing us to check on your work rights status with the Department of Immigration and Multicultural and Indigenous Affairs.
- A copy of your Citizenship Certificate, Certificate of Evidence of Resident Status, and/or any current Visas.
All of the forms required by us to be included with your application letter and Resume are included in the package to assist you with your application, including a copy of the job description.
Failure to complete any of the parts of the application will result in a delay and possibly the application being rejected.
You will be notified of the result of your written application, and if successful in the first stage, a date and time for the interview.
At the interview, it is important to be on time – this forms part of the assessment of your suitability for the position. You will be given an assessment task to complete and then will be interviewed by a panel, one of whom will be a client or a representative of a client (i.e. parent, Guardian, or advocate).
Generally, the recruitment and selection process takes about two weeks to complete, and you will be notified in writing of the outcome in due course. Sometimes the process is completed quicker, but your patience is appreciated.
If successful in being appointed to a position with Allevia, you will be required to attend an appointment, where the employment process will be completed.
Before you can start work you will be required to bring all original documents to this appointment and complete a range of employment forms including:
- A Tax Declaration Form (you will need your Tax File Number).
- An Employment Contract, including a Confidentiality Agreement.
- An Employee Details Form.
- A Safe Driver Charter.
Ongoing employment will be offered to those employees who successfully complete an initial Probationary Period of up to six months.
For those who take up casual employment, Allevia requires that you work at least one shift per fortnight to maintain your employment status. If a casual employee does not fulfill this requirement (without approval) then their employment may be terminated. A commitment to the people we assist is expected of every employee.
Induction & Orientation
As a new employee, you will be required to participate in various induction activities. This is compulsory. An Induction Folder will be provided to you with a range of information on our service, your job and responsibilities, and some tasks for you to complete as part of your in-service training.
During these induction activities, various managers will meet with you and develop a roster of work for you. Your first week will be mostly ‘buddy’ shifts, where you will work with another staff member and undergo assistance to orientate to your new workplace, including the clients you will be supporting.
Allevia provides training to all employees as a part of their employment. This may be provided as on the job mentoring and training, and/or workshops provided by Allevia or by external providers.
If you do not have a Certificate IV in Community Service Work (or an equivalent or higher qualification), Allevia recommends and encourages staff to enrol in and complete a Certificate IV in Community Service Work course. This will be discussed with you at your interview and then again at the initial employment meeting if you are successful.
Roles and Responsibilities
Allevia has a Position Description for each of the positions within the organisation. The Position Description for the position you are applying for is included in the recruitment package.
If you have any questions about the job or the application process, please contact Sandra (see below) who will arrange for the appropriate senior manager to talk to you.
Head Office: 618 Tower Road, Bankstown Airport, NSW 2200.
Postal Address: PO Box 260, Revesby North, NSW 2212
Main Contact for Recruitment:
Sandra Hilton (Employee Support Manager)
Phone: (02) 9773 8894
Fax: (02) 9773 9706